4 weeks ago
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
"Without Limits" the movie talks about the life of Steve Prefontain, Pre, one of the distinguished American long distance runners, an Olympian, and his coach Bill Bowerman, coach and co-founder of Nike. Good movie and two inspiring people. Some personal quotes of Pre,
- "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
- "A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more. Nobody is going to win a 5,000 meter race after running an easy 3 miles. Not with me. If I lose forcing the pace all the way, well, at least I can live with myself."
- "I don't just go out there and run. I like to give people watching something exciting."
- "I run best when I run free."
- "A race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways as they're capable of understanding."
- "I'm going to work so that it's a pure guts race at the end, and if it is, I am the only one who can win it."
- "Someone may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
- "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die."
- "What I want is to be number one."
- "Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him,' and I just took off."
- "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative."
- "How does a kid from Coos Bay, with one leg longer than the other win races? All my life people have been telling me, 'You're too small Pre', 'You're not fast enough Pre.' 'Give up your foolish dream Steve.' But they forgot something. I HAVE to win"
- "You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement."
- "Having a true faith is the most difficult thing in the world. Many will try to take it from you."
Link to Nakul's post whose recco I took